Sunday, July 18, 2010

Happiness Is Not The Default

I'm not sure which one I'm more troubled by: the fact that life doesn't return to normal happiness after a given period of sadness, or the fact that I forgot this important lesson.  I shouldn't be surprised, though, that I've relapsed as this seems to be the cycle that I follow now in my adult life.  It's mighty strange, though, that such a melancholy statement -- happiness is not the default -- would mark my return to normality.

I have been inexplicably depressed for the past month or two now, and how funny that suddenly, out of the blue this past Thursday, I was so easily and unceremoniously freed from that mood just by realizing that I must reach out and take hold of my happiness, because it wouldn't just come skipping back to me like a little lost dog returning home.  And since Thursday I have found that I've smiled an honest smile for the first time in what seems like years, and it's because I decided to change my attitude.

How freakin' weird is that?  And seemingly simple, too?  Again, I know I shouldn't be surprised or baffled by this "discovery", but I am.  It makes me wanna giggle.

Anyway, just wanted to jot that down.  Who knows, maybe I'll have to stumble upon this later again in life when things have me down?  Let's hope I can remember it this time, though...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us how you really feel...