Saturday, February 13, 2010

Somewhere Along The Way

...something changed.  I stopped learning, growing and exuding utter adulthood, and instead starting just "going through the motions".  I knew it would be a bad idea to allow a certain thing to happen or to continue with an edgy thought, so I wouldn't express it out loud -- but I would let it sink in inside.  I've started judging people again.  I'm holding on to negative thoughts of people and it's making me quite bitter again.  Now I think I know why I've been struggling with my anger lately.  And it probably has a lot to do with why I haven't been keeping up with my apartment lately, or any of my intended tasks either.

Mom called me last night.  On her birthday.  Yeah, she had to call me.  Oops.  I texted her earlier today but she says she didn't get it.  She sounded down and out and was perhaps crying before she called me.  She told me, with great melancholy in her voice, about her day's events.  Her manager forgot her birthday and tried to make up for it, in a very sheepish way, by exclaiming that the cake and the balloons, brought by the co-workers, tipped her off.  That made Mom said.  But as nice and caring as she makes her co-workers sound, why is the story about her manager the first thing she told me?  I mean she did explain how she got the usual cake and balloons, but why was she so upset about her manager forgetting?  She has nothing good to say about her, so why care?  Also, why would you even expect your manager to remember your birthday or, more, want to celebrate it?  I think it's quite silly to get upset over something so trivial.  Mind you, she was probably also upset that none of her kids called her yet, but wasn't dinner with Jerry a nice treat?

Damn it man I see myself in her so much.  She puts herself in harm's way and then sobs like a victim when she gets trampled on as a consequence.  Ick.

So anyway, she proceeded to tell me about one horrible day she had with her horrid manager, which eventually made her cry (without letting her manager see).  She had so many negative things to tell me that day, to include how unnecessarily dramatic she thinks Yu Jin is and how careless Jerry can be.  When she spoke to me I think I may have rolled my eyes once or twice and I even had the urge to hang up on her, but not only did I stay on the line, I fed her ego.  She, once again without fail, mentioned her weight and I made sure to compliment her and tell her that she looks great, even though I didn't want to say it.  When it comes to Mom, she thrives on other peoples' reactions and she fishes for compliments on a daily basis, so of course I appeased her (it is her day, right?).

Anyway, I'm ready to go onto the next topic so I'll just sum up my point: I'm like my Mom and it's not something I'm proud to admit.  I'm dramatic at times, tightly wound, regularly negative, hopeful and forever stuck in this haze, waiting for something significant to happen.  What, exactly, I have no idea.

So Deanna and Oscar came over last night to drop off the baby.  I just cannot be happy about the fact that Deanna and Oscar are back together.  I think it's sweet that Deanna wants to try again with him, especially because she thinks I cut ties with people too easily, but I just don't like him.  Last night proved it.  Once again, we got on the topic of Jeffrey, and once again Oscar got immediately defensive about him, suggesting that I didn't get enough time to know him.  How dare you, Oscar.  You know me so very little, and you want to immediately assume that I didn't care to get to know someone well enough?  Jeffrey skipped out on the last month of rent and utilities and stuck you with the bill!  What does that say about him now?  It's not surprising, though, about Oscar's defensiveness.  Deanna has told me about fights with him, plus I also witnessed how childish he was acting when Deanna expressed pure distaste for the Pentecostal church we once went to.  It's like he tries to convince people to like things they obviously don't.

But that's not all that happened when they were here: A week ago I would've been very quick to dismiss anything they had to say about me, but now I listened to their opinions about how I supposedly treat others.  They say (and I agree with some of this) that I am quick to shut others out -- others who possess qualities that I am not a fan of.  I wholeheartedly agree with this, but it is a defense mechanism that I have created and I personally stand by.  ...well I personally stood by.  They may be right about some of that.  Yes, it's true, I do quite quickly form a wall and separate myself from those who I've noticed contain negative aspects that aren't good for me.  But I mean why would I want to associate myself with people that might hold me back or may just be a dramatic waste of my time?  I wouldn't bat an eye if someone told me they preferred not to be friends with Jeffrey Dahmer.  It's completely understandable.  So why can't people accept that I prefer not to bother even getting close to anyone that exhibits poor qualities that I once had and overcame?

(Hm, I just realized...maybe it's because they may overcome those qualities too?  But see then it's like well good luck to you on that, I'll see you when you've journeyed a bit longer.  Funny thing is, Oscar did explain last night that those who see God are tasked with bringing others to see His light, just by leading as an example.  I think I am entirely capable of doing that.  Hm thanks Oscar, I think I just might take that thought into account...)

Alright so Michael.  Like I said, Michael expressed his interest in me to, well, me and it definitely scared me off.  I do really want to get together so we can talk about it and we can solidify where we stand, but this has been a busy week for me.  Come to think of it, my life has been quite busy since late last year.  Is this how it will remain?  Anyway, he sent me a text message on Sunday and brought up the idea of being each others' Valentine's since we're both single.  Um, no.  How sweet and rude at the same time.  I just got finished telling him that we're just friends and then he springs this Valentine's crap on me.  WTF???  He wanted to get together for dinner this week but Monday I wanted a day to myself, Tuesday LOST was on, Wednesday and Thursday were the concerts and Friday was supposed to be Dollar Night at the Rodeo with Dad & Janice and the kids.  Well they canceled and I forgot about making dinner plans with Michael, so Deanna asked if I would watch the baby and I obliged.  The big problem is, I assume that if I don't get back to people in enough time, they should know that that means we won't be getting together.  I didn't stop to think that not everyone works like that, so I got a text from him at around 6:00 last night while I was doing my laundry.  Here is what was said:


Michael: This is just a hunch, but I'm assuming you're not coming to dinner...since I didn't hear back from you? Lol. Its coolio, have fun and well be in touch soon. 6:08 PM
Me: Whaaaat? What dinner? 6:19 PM
Michael: I asked u yesterday if you wanted to do dinner. But u were gonna see about the rodeo w ur folks n get back w me. No biggie man. 6:23 PM
Me: Ohhh dang it I am so sorry. Are you free tomorrow morning? 6:33 PM
Michael: The morning...lol. Its cool man. Well just get together soon. Lol...I told you its gonna end up being after valentines day. Haha. 6:52 PM
Michael: My apologies for being short. I was on my way to dinner. 7:06 PM
Me: That's alright. I understand if it's more than just that. Let me know if you can meet up after 8:30 tomorrow night. 7:36 PM
Michael: Its not more than anything. I get outta work at 8 tomorrow. So if you wanna make plans let me know. I told ya I'm the kinda guy to wear my heart on my sleeve so 9:29 PM
Michael: I'm sorry if that's wierd for you. I just genuinely enjoy you as a person....nothing more. 9:30 PM

Oh Lord what is going on with this guy?  It's his fault that he continues to feel this way for me.  I explained to him that I wanted only friendship from him, yet he continues to put his heart out there, left hanging.  I hope to see him tonight to get this all out of the way.  I want a fun friendship, not one I have to keep at arm's length.  What I really didn't like, though, was his tone in the text messages.  Dude, I'm sorry you're getting your feelings hurt, but I told you my intentions a week ago.

So not to leave this blog in all dark clouds, I must admit I'm feeling better (emotionally, not physically -- I'm still coughing up masses of whatever).  I felt exhilarated (up until Michael's text) about this weekend and it all started from the concert Thursday night.  (Funny aside: I went all the way to Austin and hung out with Nathan all Wednesday afternoon, just to realize I went a day too early.  Haha.)  So I left late to the concert but was so excited to find Ryan and Ashley there!  We're friends on Facebook now and they were just as much fun that night as they were a few months ago when Sarah and I met them.  The concert itself filled me with so much energy and excitement that it made me realize how much I was missing by moping.  The Swellers were great (and cute!) and did a good job of getting the crowd warmed up.  This Providence totally failed by misidentifying the city as San Antonio, rather than Austin.  And instead of just apologizing and continuing on, the lead singer tried to make a really crap joke out of it and, again, failed.  The crowd was none too excited about this but surprisingly looked it over in favor of the next song.

And now...
SET
YOUR
GOALS!!!!!

Dude Set Your Goals absolutely killed it.  Their mere presence got the crowd excited and I'll admit, my calves hurt so much today from doing so much jumping and pushing.  The singers (rappers?) were all over the stage and set such a high bar for entertainers, in my opinion.  I got a picture with the skinnier one, Matt, later that night.  I'm pretty sure the more energetic one was in the purple gorilla suit (Kimbo) during the meet-and-greet afterward.  But yeah almost everyone knew their songs and Ricky, the guy the girls befriended that night, pushed his way to the front to be able to get closer in on the action.  People were crowd surfing, some were trying to start a mosh pit, and everyone else was jumping in rhythm, hands in the air shouting whatever lyrics they knew.  There was so much energy that it seriously could've been caught right from the air and bottled for later use.  I am definitely, DEFINITELY going back to see Set Your Goals when they come back for the spring -- or wherever else they may be playing in Texas.

Motion City Soundtrack were also a joy to watch and listen to.  The lead singer is quirky, to say the least, and the bassist seemed like a suuuper chill/cool guy (I got a picture with him later too).  Nobody crowd surfed when they were on stage, but the songs were still vibrant as well.  All in all I had a very fun night and can't wait to do it again. The girls will be going back next Wednesday to see We The Kings, Mayday Parade and some others, but I doubt I'll go.  I barely know any We The Kings and I know none of the other bands.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us how you really feel...